Wednesday, October 11, 2006

"Romanians don't know how to appreciate what they've got"

That's a long title, huh? It's about my latest revelation... I was talking to my dear friend from Constanta/Bucharest, Georgi and at a certain point she said "I don't like Romanian guys (I reached this conclusion recently) because Romanians don't know how to appreciate what they've got". That shocked me... I realized, once again that it is true. I remember that research made by New Economics Foundation called "Happy Planet Index". It seams that money and wealth isn't the source of happiness. Anyway, the point is that Romanians have a continous need of complaning and victimizing themselves. I guess this is due to the fact that during comunism you didn't really have to work hard to live. You just needed to exist. Now things have changed and many people live in poverty and have really big issues. The common Romanian would say "the government is guilty!", "the others are guilty!", "there's nothing I can do about it!". Well that's bullshit! WE are guilty! We are the ones supposed to make a difference. We are supposed to improve the way our country works and the way we live. We should stop complaining and stop expecting the others to save our lives and souls. We should start doing something in order to make a difference.
Obviously, I'm not expecting everyone to say, think or do so. We, sometimes, are too damn confortable and lazy. I do hope though, that there will be some, including me, who'll manage to make that change, that difference. I do hope that with trust, faith, hard work and compromises we'll be happier.
On the other hand I know EU is not gonna bring us happiness. It's not gonna make it easier for us. But for sure it will raise the awareness that only by acting things can change.
In the end I want to say that I love my country, I love my people, I know that we're capable of a better state, a better situation, and I hope that many other young people like myself will manage to make it work!

2 Comments:

Blogger The Lion said...

Really good article!

Cheers man,
Zeno.

October 11, 2006 3:56 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Romanians are still born to be consumers, not entrepreneurs.
"No pain no gain" means getting out of your comfort zone and dealing with risks and change.
Accepting responsibility for your past and your present is a MUST in any part of your life - call it career, familiy or, of course, love relationships.
Bozzo

October 12, 2006 1:56 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home